Thursday, October 08, 2009

Winter? Winter! Winter.

As I have recently returned to the Prairieland, I am beginning my first winter truly deserving of the name since the winter that spanned 2004-2005. That quite a few winterless years.

Part of me believes that the cold won't actually come. The West Coast and it's soppy winters have seeped deeply into my bones and blood and prairie winters almost seem like a tall-tale meant to scare off the ignorant. But no. If I search back into my memory, I remember that all that ice, snow, and wind is coming fast on my heels. This little sprinkle that we've had today is just the knocking at the door of a long term guest.

Once I've affirmed the reality of the winter I begin to romanticize it, which I feel must be a defence mechanism of most who live where it's great, white, and north. Really, there is something beautiful about a world blanketed in the purest of colours. And those calm snowy night walks when your own footprints seem to be the only blemish in the perfect streetlight-lit pale orange world. As well, to make it through the season has the effect of making a person feel slightly above those who have not endured the cold. But is it these things that I like or just the idea and memory of these thing? Time will answer that question, I suppose.

Now as I find the cold to be fast approaching I must accept it. Perhaps, I will find myself revelling in it. Maybe, I will buy a toboggan or relearn to skate. Definitely, I will find myself fully appreciating the mild, wet winters that I have 'endured' the past few years and shed the wussy skin that I have grown. All of this, courtesy of winter.

1 comment:

Jess Wheaton said...

Ruminations like these are part of what make Canadians such an interesting breed to me, Canadian Chris. Pure white winters = more purebred hearts? Closer to a pole, closer to heaven? Northern lights got yer soul? Anyways.. good luck up there in the NORTHFORCE.